On 10/13/07, Volker Armin Hemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Sonntag, 14. Oktober 2007, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I see that building a kernel ends with checking for "update-grub", which
> > don't have.  Should I?  Where does it come from?
>
> I don't know. I see that message too. Every single time. And so far I have
> had
> no problems caused by the lack of it.
> --

From:
http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/share/man/man8/update-grub.8.gz
NAME update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file   SYNOPSIS *
update-grub*   DESCRIPTION *update-grub* is a program used to generate the *
menu.lst* file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in
*/boot*for all files which start with "
*vmlinuz-*". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be
created for each. It will also create the initial *menu.lst* if none exists,
after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images
found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and
/boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or
simliar to be added for the kernel entry in the menu.lst.

-----

And no, you don't need it.  Writing and maintaining your own menu.lst (
grub.conf) works just fine.

--
- Mark Shields