Mick pisze:
On Tuesday 16 October 2007, Duane Griffin wrote:
On 15/10/2007, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:26:02 +0200, dexter wrote:
While tar-ing it I've messed up the command and file got deleted - I
need it back desperately
emerge testdisk and run photorec.
But be sure it doesn't compile on the same partition that contained
the lost data!

Suggest you try testdisk with a LiveCD and stop messing about with the drive in question in case you overwrite the disk space in question.
Unfortunatelly it is impossible to use live cd, so is not messing with hard drive - there are services on it that must remain online
I've asked around, and found pretty cool solution

on another system I do:  nc -l -p 21 > drive_image.dd
on server with deleted file I do: dd if=/dev/hda1 | nc -q 2 <ip of another system> 21

after that I can play around with drive_image.dd using for example autopsy