On Nov,Tuesday 6 2007, at 3:07 AM, Albert Hopkins wrote:

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 18:01 -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

given that I frequently play the role of the heretic (complete with burn scars all over my body and various bits of damage from the weapons of true believers) I think it's a good thing that EVMS is slated for the trash heap. It's a classic example of "second system syndrome" as defined by "the mythical Man month". It's overly complicated, poorly documented, and has a terrible user
interface that only a geek would even consider using.

Having said that, I also think LVMS suffers from many if not all of the same problems that plagued EVMS. it is been around for years and still the documentation on how to perform common operations is lacking. It's a chicken and egg problem. You need to understand LVMS in order to understand the documentation and then you can't explain it to anyone else. Every time I've used LVMS, it takes me the same number of hours to relearn the same old pieces of obscure command syntax and become comfortable that I'm not going to trash my
disk.  As a result, I don't use LVMS either.

I've never used EVMS so I can't comment at all on it.  However I have
been using LVM for years and one of the few good things I can say about
it is that its pretty small, easy, and predictable. In fact one of the
negative things I'd have to say about it is that it's *too* simple (a LV
defrag tool would be nice).  I really don't understand the complexity
you speak of.  It's pretty well documented, and has a fairly high
user-base.

I do agree though that, based on this ML and IRC discussions, many times I'll see a person who wants to use LVM and perhaps maybe they don't need it, and they get frustrated because they're using the wrong tool for the job. Myself: I have a 8 2-disk RAID volumes with LVM on top. If I need to expand my VG, I just pop in a couple of new drives, to an lvextend on
a volume and then "mount -o remount,resize" and voila!

On another machine I have xen and I have 2 VGs: a set of disks for the
Host and a set for the VMs. I have some VMs in a DMZ, and I can't reach them from the host, but I use LVM to create snapshots of their disks and make backup of them. LVM makes it damn easy. In some ways LVM is like a poor-man's SAN for Xen VMs. You can carve out a LV, assign it to a VM,
and resize, hot-add or hot-remove them as you please.

But again, the average person with a single disk running on a laptop
computer probably has no use for LVM.

Pretty much every major "server" OS has volume management (including
Windows) because a lot of users at that level need it.  Linu LVM, I
think, is very similar to HP-UX LVM at the command level.
AFAIK an who has written linux LVM worked for HP.

Regards

Adam.