On Nov 12, 2007 6:59 PM, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just switched from DSL to cable and I'm noticing a significant delay
> when using Skype, even when nothing else is happening on my network.
> Has anyone else noticed this and had success "fixing" it?  I'm using a
> Gentoo router so I can try just about anything.
>
> - Grant
> --

I work for as a cable modem technician.  The first thing to check for when
you're having cable internet problems is the modem.  Call up tech support
and ask them to check the signals on the modem (upstream power, downstream
rcv, downstream SNR, upstream SNR, headend receive) and make sure they're in
range.  Also ask them to ping and (if available) rf ping to check for
latency/packet loss.  Also ask them to check the circuits/backbone.  Also,
can you reproduce this latency in the form of a ping/traceroute?  This will
go a long way with ISPs in determining where the problem is (although
Comcast just blows off high latency on pings as the result of dropping them
due to lower priority).

--
- Mark Shields