> Grub can perfectly from a floppy disk. See "info
> grub" (the full grub
> documentation, the man page is crap) in order to
> learn how to create a
> grub floppy disk (or CD/R(W)). You will then be able
> to set the BIOS
> boot order to default and see what a freshly booted

Arrgh! Now I learn this box won't boot from a floppy!

It bipasses the floppy completely unless I disable ALL
the drives except the floppy and then I get:

Invalid boot diskette: insert BOOT disk in A:\

Huh? Maybe it's because this is a Dell PIII and
requires a proprietary DOS boot disk.

There seems to be two methods from what I can find on
the Web: copying menu.lst to /mnt/floppy/boot/grub and
copying /boot/grub/stage1 and /boot/grub/stage2 to a
floppy I tried them both without success.

Of course I can still boot the gentoo-install CD but
then I have to chroot to run grub which puts me back
in the hole.

Now, I don't have a burner on the PIII, but I have one
on another box. Can someone suggest a method to burn a
grub-boot CD that won't leave me with a coaster -- got
plenty of those :(

-mw