This is true. After booting from a CD,

   chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

does not work.

> If you have a binary glibc package, then you could untar it into
> /mnt/gentoo while booted from the CD. Otherwise I suspect that you
will
> either have to find a binary glibc package on the internet or rebuild
> your system from a stage3 tarball in the usual way.

Indeed the solution was to build glibc-2.6.1.tbz2 with quickpkg on
another machine (luckily I had one) and scp into the damaged machine
when booted from the CD. Then copying all the files into their
respective places inside /mnt/gentoo/...
Also need to check symbolic links etc. Not a pleasant work.

Then chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash finally works. After that, an emerge
of glibc solves the problem.

Thanks for the inputs.

--
Valmor