On 22 Nov 2007, at 09:18, Thufir wrote:
arrakis ~ #
arrakis ~ # mount -a
arrakis ~ #
arrakis ~ # mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No buffer space available
arrakis ~ #
arrakis ~ # mount /mnt/cdrom1
mount: block device /dev/cdrom1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No buffer space available
arrakis ~ #
arrakis ~ # mount /mnt/cdrw1
mount: block device /dev/cdrw1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: No buffer space available
arrakis ~ #

A Google seems to suggest that "mount: No buffer space available" is commonly returned when the device is already mounted.

The manpage for `mount` indicates that `mount -a` will mount all devices listed in /etc/fstab, so your output suggests to me that the CD drives are mounted when you issue this command - no wonder they fail when you try to mount them again separately!

I don't use optical drives very much under Linux, so please forgive me if I'm mistaken. I'd think that `df` would show the mount status of optical drives, so IMO it'd be useful to post the output of `mount -va && df && mount -v /mnt/cdrom`

Stroller.