On 2007-12-03, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I think that pretty much all GSM phones support data calls (I
>> could be wrong). Whether or not the network will allow them
>> without paying extra for a data plan is the question.
>
> Got it.  Is this official data plan service something that
> will work anywhere a GSM signal is had, or does there need to
> be a special type of service in the area?

I believe that all the GSM service areas in the US are
data-capable.  If you want to know about the paid-for data
plans, you should probaby try to find somebody at the carriers
who can answer questions.  Make sure they know you want to use
the phone for "teathered" internet access from a laptop --
otherwise they're going to think you're talking about the web
browser in the phone.

If you want to use Bluetooth instead of a USB cable, make sure
you tell them that too.  Some carriers will support one but not
the other.

I don't know if the 1st line customer server or sales staff are
going to be helpful, but you should be able to find somebody if
you keep asking questions.  Most of the major carriers have
Usenet newsgroups dedicated to them, and that's usually an
excellent place to get info on what really works and what
doesn't.

>> What I do is use Verizon CDMA (far better coverage than any of
>> the GSM networks) in the US and I have a GSM phone that I use
>> internationally.  You can get good used unlocked tri and
>> quad-band GSM phones for $20 and up.  You can get brand new
>> ones for $30 and up.  I got nearly new used Noka candy-bar
>> phone that's US-only for $18 off craig's list and a brand-new
>> quad-band Motorola V190 off ebay for $40. Just for giggles I
>> have a AT&T pre-paid SIM for my GSM phones so I can use them as
>> backups in the US.
>
> That's an interesting idea.  It would be nice to have an AT&T
> plan that works all over the world, but I wonder if there is a
> big enough difference between CDMA and GSM reception in the US
> to justify two phones and buying SIM cards.

In the US, GSM is only available in larger cities/towns and
along freeways.  There are pretty significant holes in rural
areas and small towns.  That may not matter to you.  There were
even a few gaps in the freeway corridor coverage in the midwest
the last time I checked.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why is it that when
                                  at               you DIE, you can't take