On Dec 8, 2007 7:57 AM, Norman Rieß <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am using a Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA
> Controller (rev 02) in a non-RAID configuration. Simply an an
> SATA-Controller so to speak.
> This worked fine ever since. But with the release of kernel 2.6.22 the
> controller stopped working.
>
> Here is a picture of the errormessage when the kernel loads.
>
> http://www.smash-net.org/kernel2.6.23/kernel_sil_err.jpg
>
> I googled around and found, that quite a few people had problems with
> SIL-Controllers. But none but one had this particular problem. This guy
> apparently told  a kernel developer about this, who said he would take a
> look at it.  So i waited till 3.6.23, but the problem still persists.
>
> Here is my  kernel-config for 2.6.23:
> http://www.smash-net.org/kernel2.6.23/config-kernel-2.6.23
>
> Maybe someone on this list has a fresh idea.
>
> Regards
> Norman
> --

I have this same chipset and run two SATA drives in a RAID 1 (mirrored)
config, but I'm running hardened-2.6.20-r6. I will note I have had no
problems using the kernel drivers and have been using the hardened kernel
since 2.6.14; before that this was just a system using the gentoo-sources,
not sure how far that dates ('05-ish).   I'll emerge the latest stable
hardened (2.6.22-r8) and test it, and check back with you guys.  I was
thinking about upgrading anyways.

I looked at your config and noticed:

CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=y

You don't need this.  It probably isn't causing the problem, but I would
disable it anyways.

Also disable

CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y

too.