On Tuesday 11 December 2007 09:48:10 am Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
> > I believe that I have this enabled, however ieee80211 is still barfing
> > out by asking for CONFIG_NET_RADIO.
> >
> > I'll check and confirm this tonight.
>
> Also check bugzilla.  I remember reporting a bug with the more recent
> kernels failing to build kernel drivers.  The last kernel that I managed to
> build rt2570 was 2.6.20-gentoo-r8.  Kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 fails to emerge
> any driver whatsoever.

I have now (finally) successfully compiled the latest kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3
kernel.  Once I enabled the 'Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)'
option in Networking --> Wireless, the Realtek RTL8187 USB support option
appears in Device Drivers --> Network Device Support --> Wireless LAN section
under wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11).

With this RTL8187 driver compiled into the kernel, I get some success.

Running the command 'dmesg | grep rtl8187' after reboot returns the message
usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187

There is, however, no /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 on my system, so I'm not quite
there yet.

There is a net.eth0 (wired network), and a net.lo
What do I need to do to get net.wlan0 active?

Thanks

Jeff