On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:54:44 -0600
Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:

...[snip]...

> I'm definitely willing to switch and will most likely do so during
> the holiday week. Paludis seems to be a favorite amongst experienced
> users. Which begs the question; Why not redirect all efforts to
> building a stable, full-featured Paludis as soon as possible and
> purge portage? One option that I would like is for the build to be
> done completely in ram until it's compiled and ready to be placed on
> disk. HDD I/O is the slowest part of the system avoiding it as much
> as possible on systems with plenty of ram is a good idea.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

I'm experimenting with paludis.  Seems fine, though a bit verbose and
cryptic.  Running "paludis -i world" produces:

  Unhandled exception:
    * In program paludis -i world:
    * When making environment from specification '':
    * When loading paludis configuration:
    * When reading use file '/etc/paludis/use.conf':
    * When adding source '/etc/paludis/use.conf' as a use file:
    * When validating use flag name '':
    * Name '' is not a valid use flag name (paludis::UseFlagNameError)

If, instead, I run "paludis --environment portage -i world" the
first message is:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [WARNING] Use of Portage configuration files will
  lead to sub-optimal performance and loss of functionality. Full
  support for Portage configuration formats is not guaranteed; issues
  should be reported via trac. You are strongly encouraged to migrate to
  a Paludis configuration.

Beforr the above results, I'd already run:

  portage2paludis
  paludis --sync

and have /etc/paludis with various files in it.

What am I missing that produces the "unhandled exception" and "migrate
to Paludis configuration" messages?

Thanks.

David