On Dec 21, 2007 7:10 PM, Renat Golubchyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:25:40 -0700 "Jonathan Haws"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is a really stupid question I know, but I want some second
> > opinions:
> >

> > Should the mmx global USE flag be enabled on a Pentium 4 machine and
> > why or why not?
>
> Yes, it should. (Multimedia) programs that support it, e.g. mplayer or
> gimp, will use it.
>

> Cheers,
> Renat
>
> --
> Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
> durch die sie entstanden sind.
>                                              (Einstein)

If I remember correctly, flags like this are not recommended to enable.  GCC
can already pass the appropriate flags, such as MMX and SSE, to programs
when compiling; the fact that this ebuild has optional use flags for this
setting is a red flag, in my opinion.  I would recommend researching
possible problems you may have before building any programs with the MMX use
flag.
--
- Mark Shields