I'm stripping down a former regular desktop setup of gentoo to remove
X and any unnecessary services like sendmail samba cups... and more.

I've been checking dependences and removing thing in some attempt at
sytematically .. but the end its `emerge -vC something'

So I now have things set in some runlevels that are uninstalled.
rc-update show has these error messages

   Broken runlevel entry: /etc/runlevels/default/samba
   Broken runlevel entry: /etc/runlevels/default/net.eth0
   Broken runlevel entry: /etc/runlevels/default/sendmail

[...]

rc-update will not let me delete or readd them (since they are
missing)

I find mention of this problem with google but the only fix mentioned
is to readd and then delet... I can't do that here.

So I guess I need to hand edit whatever source file or files rc-update
uses. Where are they?