On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
> ivman instead.
> Which does gentoo-users think I should use?

Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
technology was designed to solve.

A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
directories on a large server that has many accounts, used in
conjunction with NFS and NIS, and anyone can log in from any
workstation at any time. This scenario is common - think thin clients

Say you have 100 accounts and user joe logs onto the network. You
*could* export /home to his workstation, but that exposes everyone
else's homedir as well. With autofs you essentially tell the server
that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
mounts the NFS export there.

Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)

You can do many wonderful things with autofs, but it often involves
complex hacks and workarounds, which is the impetus for other solutions
to be developed, like ivman.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com