On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:56:11 -0600 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can you cite some actual examples of what you are talking about, with
> enough detail so I can see what you mean?  Maybe include one or two of
> the workarounds you are tired of dealing with?

One thing I encountered is this bug

> echo "$(echo $';foo')"
bash: foo: command not found

introduced with some 3.1 version.

Then at some point the following stopped working

for d in `echo $locdirs | sed -e 's#/# #g'`; do

because bash stupidly regarded the embedded # as comment
delimters and complained about not finding the closing backtick. Both bugs
are fixed now.

Both cases broke scripts that I had released as part of a project and
therefore caused bug reports against my script. There were others but I
don't have the time to dig them out. I'm not trying to convince you to
stay away from bash, just telling you my reasons.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I found the zsh developers much easier to get
in touch with and much more responsive about bug reports.

But all of this is off-topic for gentoo-user, so I'll stop now.

MSB

--
The biggest fallacy of the SETI project is the belief
that TV signals are a sign of intelligence!