On Sunday 23 December 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
> > I doubt that would work. The virtual machine
> > identifies itself as
> > different "hardware" from the host, so the MS
> > profit-protection would
> > kick in, claiming you were trying to run the same
> > copy of the OS on two
> > different computers.
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
>
> Mebbe I'm confusing wine with vmware. I need to run a
> XP-specific CAD program. So, it has to be installed in
> XP and XP must be installed on the first partition of
> the HDD, right?

No, it can be installed wherever you want it to be installed, (but not sure if
you can install it directly on a second drive.  The catch is that it will
want to be on the first drive, first partition, or otherwise will try to
write its bootloader files there.  If the first drive is not
recognisable/writeable by XP it will have a hissy fit and will bail out.  The
(easy) solution is to install it on the first drive and then use partimage to
create an image of it, which thereafter can be unloaded in whichever
partition/drive you desire.  Use Grub to chainload it accordingly.
--
Regards,
Mick