James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Enviado por: news <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
24/01/2008 15:59
Por favor, responda a gentoo-user

        Para:   gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
        cc:
        Asunto: [gentoo-user] firewall make.conf settings

Hello,

I keep driving to make the size of the (gentoo) firewall as small(fast) as
posible to run on minimal resources. I have a mixture of old pentiums and
 amd (k6) machines. I'd like to have one make.conf file for all the
systems.

Anybody see anything wrong (not optimized) with these settings?

CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i586-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE=" -* hardened acl ssl crypt nptl nptlonly"

Will -march=i586 work well with the amd k6 arch?
-fomit-frame-pointer (as no debugging wil)l occur on said machines)

Any comments on the USE flags?  (a better way to minimize the installed
packages (which is vim and iptables and sshd)

James

If you'd like to use the same make.conf for different machines you should
make sure they all have same processors or, at least, same family of
processors; in your case, I recommend using -mcpu instead of -march. Keep
in mind that K6 processors have their own -marc=k6 and might not be
comptable with -march=i586. More in /etc/make.conf.example.

About USE flags, I recommend using "-va" options on every merge, check
wich USE flags are enabled or disabled for each package and dinamicaly
make your USE variable up.

HTH,
Abraham Marín Pérez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>