On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:20:38 -0800, Michael Higgins wrote:

> So, the quick question is, is VM Ware the best way to go? I think XP is
> still lurking on a partition here... and I do need to run Internet
> Extorter, Outlook, etc... pretend I'm in their "domain"...

VMware is a good way to go, whether it's the best is open to debate.
While you can run it from a physical partition, trying to use an existing
install may cause problems. At the very least you'll need to re-activate
is with MS because it is now running on a different computer (the virtual
one).

> * app-emulation/vmware-workstation
>      Available versions:  4.5.3.19414-r7 5.5.5.56455 ~6.0.1.55017!f
> ~6.0.2.59824!f
>
> ... when I downloaded the evaluation license and a tar.gz, does that
> satisfy the "!f", for example? What do I do with it, then? I do notice
> the version number matches.

If you try to emerge it, you will be told which file to download and
where to put it. Put the one you have in $DISTDIR and use the -v option
with emerge. If it shows a 0KB download, you know you have the right file.

--
Neil Bothwick

"I am a Cub Ranger. We dib dib dib for the One. We dob dob dob for the
One."