On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:56:30 +0100
Pupino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > All you have to do in order to get the proprietery nvidia drv
> > working is:
> >
> > 1) make sure the open src nvidia drv is not built in-kernel or as
> > kernel module:
> >
> > ========
> >    Location:
> >      -> Device Drivers
> >        -> Graphics support
> >          -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=n])
> >              -> nVidia Framebuffer Support = [N]
> > ========
> >
> > 2) emerge nvidia-drivers
> > 3) make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has >Driver "nvidia"<, not "nv" in
> > section "Device"
> > 4) eselect opengl set nvidia
>
> Thanks for the help Daniel, but what you say hasn't fixed my
> problem... I had framebuffer support in the kernel config, but not
> the nvidia fb support, I've tried to remove it at all, but still
> doesn't work... the other steps you have listed have already been
> done. In fact if I type /etc/init.d/xdm restart after boot the driver
> is loaded correctly and all works...
>
> Davide

No, AFAIK, only the open source "nv" frame buffer (FB) driver can't work
together with the driver from Nvidia. You can have another (e.g. VESA)
FB support along with the proprietary driver.

Have you re-emerged "nvidia-drivers" after you recompiled the kernel?
If you use binary storage for the compiled packages, remove the
nvidia-drivers from there before emerging. I had such a problem:
portage extracts the backup package without really rebuilding the
driver (perhaps because it sees the same versions and USE flags).

So, you could try:

rm $PORTDIR/packages/All/nvidia*
emerge nvidia-drivers
eselect opengl nvidia