Jan Seeger wrote:

<snip insane security paranoia>

insane? What's insane: Presuming the windows host is compromised? or having your computer on a USB flash drive? or using two browsers to confirm the integrity of a site? The procedure is quite easy, once you've done it once or twice.

But go ahead and do something less; it's easy to do something less cautious.

Actually, at that stage, you should be more worried about the hardware. Slip a
little hardware
keylogger in there and all that is for nothing. And try to do online banking
without entering
anything... If your bank doesn't require something like a TAN (transaction
number) or ITAN (indexed
transaction number), I wouldn't use it at all. So it would probably wiser to
get a laptop and take
good care of it.

Definitely agree. Laptop is easily the best choice. (But I still check for DNS poisoning and XSS attacks at the destination) :-)

-> However, maybe Steve doesn't have a laptop! At any rate, he is discussing a solution for use at a windows pc.

(And I wouldn't mind entering a TAN via a library keyboard if the primary authentication (initial phase of a two phase identification) was hidden from the hardware - it alone won't compromise my account.)