On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:55:49 +0000
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 10 February 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If the authentication is configured at the PC/client end rather than
> the modem, then you are probably not using the correct encapsulation
> for the cable network and, or have not cloned/spoofed the MAC address
> of the nominated client (your PC).  I guess that your ADSL will be
> using PPP over ATM (PPPoA), if it's anything like what we have in
> most of the UK, while your cable is most likely using PPP over
> Ethernet (PPPoE).

> In any case, you will need to change the
> respective settings in your Netgear router.  BTW, which router is
> it?  If it is one of the DG834 domestic models, these have both
> (ADSL) modem and router combined into one unit.  Again, depending on
> whether your cable modem acts as a bridge or as a client on the
> Comcast network you may or may not need to set up authentication on
> the router side (in the Netgear modem configuration).

Unless your comcast connection differs from my own, you won't need to
authenticate.  Instead, they should have recorded your modem's MAC
address.

AFAIK we use ppp-oe for (a)dsl here in the states, and all cable modem
connections I've ever seen have been transparent (though no doubt they
use some sort of ppp as well)