Hi Alan,

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 'emerge -pv --depclean' shows that these packages may be unmerged:
> <snip detail>
>>  app-crypt/hashalot
>>  sys-libs/pwdb
>>  sys-apps/attr
>>
>> Is it safe to remove they from the system? This is mail server and
>> has mostly no additional packages except exim, mysql, spamassassin
>> and some other.

> This means that you never explicitly merged them, they are not in world
> and are no longer required by anything else. There are normally three
> reasons:

> - you merged something that needed these packages, then unmerged them
> later, leaving these dependencies orphaned
> - you merged something else that used them, and in a recent update they
> are now using something else that provides the same functionality
> - they were required by some USE flag you once had, and you have now
> changed your USE, so the deps are no longer required.

Yes, that the theory I know about :)
But looks like they are not in world list of stage3. I'm 99% sure I
didn't merge hashalot & attr (as dependencies too).

> You'll need to look at each package and figure out if YOU need them, as
> we can't tell you that. I might think that you don't need your wife
> under any circumstances, and you might strongly disagree :-)

:)

> I once knew what hashalot does. I forgot. It's something to do with
> cryptography

%description
This program will read a passphrase from standard input and print a binary
(not printable) hash to standard output.  The output is suitable for use as
an encryption key.

> pwdb is used as a password and user account configuration thingy. Looks
> pretty important :-)

I think so.

> attr provides extended attributes to ext2/3 and XFS file systems, used
> by selinux and posix capabilities. If you use these features, you
> already are aware of it.

So, if I use reiserfs w/o ext attrs (option in kernel), I don't need
it probably. Correct?

> When you figure out which ones to keep, it's best to put them in your
> world file. Either edit /var/lib/portage/world and stick the name at
> the end, or run 'emerge -n <package-name>'

Thanks.

--
Sergey