On Friday 15 February 2008, Dale wrote:
> Uwe Thiem wrote:
> > Back in the days when I still used DOS, one certainly wanted to
> > defragment periodically. The system became significantly more
> > performant for a while. On Linux/Unix, I never bothered.
> >
> > Uwe
>
> Yea, I remember those days too.  Put the disk and get it started then
> wait until it finishes the next day.  Sometimes it would take more
> time than that.  I mean, when you got a puter with 64K of ram and
> maybe 200 or 300MBs of hard drive space, well, it takes a while.  Oh,
> that 4MHz blazingly fast CPU helped a lot too.  ;-)

I remember using PCTools for defrag then switching to Norton. Took 2
days on a 20M MFM drive - Norton used a different layout scheme to
PCTools and wanted to change *everything* around.

Heck, I remember changing the interleaving on that disk from 1 to 3 and
getting a massive performance increase...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com