Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:14:22 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > > The cruelty is actually worse:  the machines that will benefit most
> > > from an OOo compile from source, are those old, low memory, asthmatic
> > > boxen, that take two days to complete the emerge!  I am tempted to
> > > start cross-compiling.
> >
> > I've often used distcc between amd64 and x86 machines, for example, and
> > had no problems (except that not enough is "farmed out").

Uh, really? I thought I had to setup cross compiling for that. Cool, I can
skip that then. You just saved me a lot of trouble, thanks.

> AFAIR the OOo build won't use distcc. It used to take up to 16 hours on
> my iBook, with no bin package available. Now it takes 3-4 hours, so runs
> while I sleep. The binary version clashes too much with KDE.

Looking at the ebuild is seems that it disables paralles makes, unless
environment variable WANT_MP is set to true.
So, I think distcc should work, using the first of the hosts given with
distcc-config --set-hosts.

        Wonko