This One Time, at Band Camp, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said, On Fri, Feb 15,
2008 at 09:17:11AM -0600:
> Aaron Clark wrote:
>> Dale wrote:

>>> Little addition to XFS, I tried it once a while ago.  Every time the
>>> power failed, it would never boot again.  I can say from personal
>>> experience and from what I have read from others, if you plan to use XFS,
>>> have a good UPS hooked up.  It does not like power failures at all.  YMMV

>> :)  In the YMMV category, I've used XFS on pretty much every file server
>> I've had in the last 4-5 years and it's never given me any trouble despite
>> pretty much never having a UPS hooked up and a decent number of power
>> outages.  Granted, I never used it on my root filesystem, only storage
>> partitions.

>> Aaron
>
> Good idea not to use it on the / file system.  LOL  I was using Mandriva
> for my ex's Mom.  After about three or four tries, I went back to reiserfs.
>  It would crash but it would boot right back up again.  Nothing lost that I
> know of.
>
> I just never trusted it again.  I have also been told, and read elsewhere,
> that it is a pretty well known thing that it doesn't like power failures.
> It has its good points tho, which is why I was trying it out.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Hey guys,

Currently I have 2 partitions, a root and home partition, fortunately
on LVM array, I was thinking of splitting them to "/, /usr, /var, /home,
/usr/portage, /mnt/storage" the latter is to be used for Mp3z (around
12000) and movies...

I was thinking of having the below filesystem schema:
/               : ext3 (-j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs
options ??)
/usr            : xfs (I never used it so please suggest mkfs.xfs options)
/var            : //
/home           : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs
options ??)
/usr/portage    : ReiserFS (3? 4? options??)
/mnt/storage    : ext3 (-m 0 -j -O dir_index,sparse_super,filetype) (Good mkfs
options ??)

Could you please comment/complete/change the schema above ?? I really
would like to speed up my system a little bit, My system is entirely
built on LVM array, and LVM is on DM-CRYPT so as you can see it's a
quite slow due to the encryption...

Oh one last thing, What do you suggest for a server? I have a Gentoo
server and uptime can be over 5/6 months, everytime I reboot the
server I have to manually scan the filesystem due to errors
everywhere, any suggestions??

Thanks...

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.