On 16 Feb 2008, at 17:56, Florian Philipp wrote:
Thanks! That did the trick! Now there was an entry about tcp wrapper
denying access in /var/log/messages. Remerging open-ssh with USE="- tcpd"
solved the problem.

I will look into tcpd configuration but I don't think I even need it on
that machine.

I stumbled across use of tcp wrapper & SSH recently - I think another poster here mentioned DenyHosts, and tcp wrapper is needed for this.
http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

If I look at my auth logs on 3 different systems I see thousands of failed ssh attempts, so DenyHosts would be quite worthwhile here, I think.

Stroller.