Thanks for all your suggestions...

I will look into fail2ban... that might be what I need... While I could crank BLOCKING_PERIOD for blacklist.py to an absurdly high value, this (AFAIK) will not persist blocks when the server is powered down or rebooted.

I need to retain port 22 and can't easily do port-knocking - since some of the clients I require to connect to my server are in restrictive environments. I've another idea too... I'm happy to entirely cut off all services from any IP that attempts to brute-force SSH passwords... as it is an unequivocal act of aggression that would not arise with any legitimate clients... Another aside is that in some restrictive environments it is hard to securely obtain my private key without first obtaining a secure off-site connection. For this reason, I prefer to have the facility to log in using username/password - my compromise is to make my password extremely complex... plus using a non-obvious user-id, which again hampers attackers.

While interesting, I don't think the connection rate limiter is for me... I may want to legitimately make rapid connections at some time or other. :-)