On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 09:51:47PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Understood - I have seen that article too. I must say, I've mainly had
> experience with 'dump' on Freebsd and 'xfsdump' on Linux, and never had
> restore issues with *either* of these. Now I'm not sure whether these are
> supposed to be better than 'dump' on Linux aimed at ext2|3 filesystems -
> certainly Freebsd's 'dump' has an option to tell it that it is dumping a
> 'live' filesystem, and the man pages for xfsrestore have notes concerning
> what happens when restoring an (xfs)dump from a 'live' filesystem - so they
> may well be!

FreeBSD's softupdates should make filesystem state always consistent,
metadatawise. Or so I think I remember, its been a while. That might
aleviate some of the problems noted on the dump page I referenced.

> On the other hand I've certainly routinely seen cases of people using dd
> (rsync, cpio, tar etc) and coming to grief at restore time. I am reluctant
> to suggest that folks use xfs and hence get access to xfsdump, as one of
> the nice things  about Linux is the  choice of a variety of filesystems -
> but it is pretty important to get able to backup of (for instance ) / ...
> and you usually don't have much option other than doing it live!

I use rdiff-backup for my backups but then again I have low requirements
wrt. consistency outside file-level. I have considered LVM snapshots
since I use LVM already but havent bothered so far.

Cheers,
  Rasmus