On Sunday 09 March 2008, Thufir wrote:
> From the user profile, I ran "xhost +" to allow connections to the x
> server (is that a correct understanding?).

This is entirely unrelated to dbus and hal. On most modern setups, it
probably also won't do anything, as the dm probably starts X with
the '-nolisten tcp' option

> As root I'm getting HAL errors:
>
> arrakis ~ #
> arrakis ~ # nautilus
> Initializing gnome-mount extension

why are you running gnome as root?

Bad bad bad boy. Report to the principal's office for detention.
This has been hashed to death by many people who really know what they
are talking about, so I give the executive summary instead:

NEVER EVER RUN X AS ROOT. It's bad enough the bloody thing is suid, but
there's no way around that so we tolerate it.

> ** (nautilus:8513): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound : Failed to connect to socket
> / var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
>
> ** (nautilus:8513): WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context
>
> Shutting down gnome-mount extension
>
> arrakis ~ #
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=365442&page=3
>
> talks about starting the dbus service before HAL?

properly configured, dbus *will* start before hald:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /etc/init.d $ cat dbus
depend() {
        need localmount
        after bootmisc
}

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /etc/init.d $ cat hald
depend() {
        use logger acpid
        need dbus
        after coldplug dns nscd
}

Do you have dbus and hald properly configured to start in the default
runlevel?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com