hello list, searching information that could help me solve the
problem of my old HP laserjet 1100 printing too slow, i found
something about dma and parallel port.

i activated ECP on the bios, the address of the port is 378, irq 7
and dma 3. but dma is not activated when booting:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ dmesg | grep parp
Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda1 vga=773 ro parport=0x378,7,3
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP(,...)]
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/dma
-1

i have the drivers compiled in the kernel, not as modules. i added this
line in menu.lst:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=773 ro parport=0x378,7,3

not sure about the syntax, i couldn't find anything in the grub
documentation about passing kernel parameters. anyway, i get no dma on
parport0.

i have an oldish soyo kt333 motherboard, and i tried this with
different recent kernels (2.6.23 and 24)

any help greatly appreciated.

best,

lj