forgottenwizard wrote:
I'm messing around with doing backups via rsync to an external hard
drive, and I'm wanting to be able to strip out unneeded files from the
backup (these will be archived by, probably, dar or tar later on), and
was wondering if someone knew what I could strip out.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I am following you or not but I back up /boot /dev /home /sbin /var /bin /data /etc /lib /opt /root /usr when I do mine. /data is where I store most of my data. I skip /sys, /proc and /tmp since those are usually made by the kernel and /tmp is stuff that is cleared out when booting anyway. If you are asking what I think you are asking, you should be able to leave out /sys, /tmp and /proc and be fine. YMMV.

Dale

:-)  :-)