Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Thursday 13 March 2008, Dale wrote:
Robert Stockdale IV wrote:
Well I got it compiling. However it seems to die with errors with
the USE flag and FEATURES. It also will not take the multilib use
flag. I use the -uDNav option on emerge and multilib is shown as
(-multilib). How can I get it to show multilib* instead of
(-multilib). Thank you. Bob
You should add multilib to your make.conf file USE flags.  If it is
not a global need, put it in package.use.

Question, are you new to Gentoo?  If you are, maybe we need to go
more into detail here.

I think he is new to Gentoo Dale, he seems to be making the kinda elementary mistakes you'd expect from someone suffering from information overload after trying to grasp the install docs

Robert, knowing the workings of portage is crucial to a satisfactory Gentoo. There isn't a simple way through this, it's just a lot of good old RTFM (but we've all done it).

At a minimum you should read everything linked from here several times:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

and read these man pages many many times:

man emerge
man ebuild
man 5 ebuild
man 5 make.conf
man 5 portage

The answers to all your questions in this thread are in those references

I think so too. He posted that he used it a few years ago which may be worse than starting out completely new. I noticed he was putting a USE and FEATURES variable on the command line instead of make.conf and friends. It sort of tipped me off that he is familiar with Linux but new to Gentoo.

We'll get him going tho. ;-)
Dale