On Friday 14 March 2008, Gustavo Campos wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a "stable" system (I don't have ~x86 set), but I like to have
> the latest versions of some specific software (kde, gnome, amarok,
> alsa, pulseaudio, wine and so on). To achieve that, I've been using
> autounmask with the parameter -n. When I have a package I want to
> keep in the latest version, I just autounmask -n package, so all the
> dependencies are unmasked and no version number is appended.
>
> That works fine, but I like to have the latest released versions,
> which means I usually want to get away from the *9999 ebuilds. The
> trouble is, when I use autounmask without version numbers, those 9999
> packages usually are choosen by portage, for being the effective
> latest ones.
>
> I would like to know if there is a way for me to unmask
> (automatically if possible) all versions BUT the 9999 ones, so I have
> the latest releases but the less CVS/Beta packages as possible.

I find autounmask does way too much for me, and does it blindly just
like a dumb computer should. so I do it manually. However, you are
using -n and at the same time trying to use it without -n...

Trying deleting the autounmask files in /etc/portage/package.unmask/,
that should go a long way to removing the CVS stuff (which is usually
hard masked) leaving just package.keywords. You might have to manually
resolve some conflicts now and then though - small price

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com