On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, David Blamire-Brown <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> This is a question about a small home network set-up for printing. I can't
> tell if this is OT for this list, but that doesn't seem to be a firm
> restriction in this part of the world in any case!
>
> I have a locally attached printer on a Gentoo machine. I have a Windows XP
> laptop. I would like to print from my XP laptop over the network to the
> printer.
> I have followed the guide on gentoo.org. I've sort of got printing working
> via Samba, but haven't been able to configure it for XP users to print
> without having to login to Samba. So I'm looking back at using IPP on the XP
> laptop.
>
> Anyway, the main question is, is Samba a preferred option, or is it just
> more complicated than using IPP? There are a couple of brief lines about
> printing via IPP in the Gentoo Printing Guide, but a whole separate guide on
> using Samba. I can't find any information on use of IPP vs Samba via a brief
> Google, but maybe I'm just not searching very well.
>
> Regards,
> David
> --

It sounds like you need to enable guest and public access to the printer.
Here is an older guide, but it seems to have the relevant stuff you need:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931

These lines:

public = yes
guest ok = yes

Check out the guide for the appropriate places to put them.

--
- Mark Shields