Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:20:39 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Next thing I would never have thought of: the root file system was too
> > small. I made it 500 MB bis, as /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp and /home are on
> > LVM. A little small because of /root/.ccache, but I usually symlink
> > that to somewhere else.
>
> You could set $CCACHE_DIR, which seems less kludgy to me.

Right.

> > But why is /lib/modules larger than 300 MB?
>
> Because you have built your kernel with CONFIG_KITCHENSINK=m?
>
> % du -h /lib/modules/$(uname -r)
> 9.9M    /lib/modules/2.6.24-tuxonice-r3
>
> Hmmm, it's 22MB on my desktop, time to start pruning .config.

Well, I think I did that. I copied the kubuntu config, but went through most
options with menuconfig and deactivated a lot. I kept bluetooth, USB and
DVB stuff, and some more, though, because I do not know yet which devices
might be needed later.

So, the original kubuntu .config has even much more stuff in it. Squashfs
compression must be very good, or the whole CD would be filled with modules
only.

> % df -h /
> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda5 reiserfs    385M  189M  196M  50% /
>
> That includes /boot with two kernels.

Looks like what I had expected.

But that's okay, I created another, bigger root partition. I just think that
the documentation could mention this. "Remember, if you are going to get
your .config fram a CD like knoppix, your /lib directory will neeed at
about 500 M, so be sure aour root partition is big enough" or something
like that would have helped.

Flash would be nice now. For some people it does work fine, but for others
this still is not the case it seems. Using firefox-bin or wine might be
workarounds, but I would not like that much - I like to use konqueror.

The video driver problem seems to be sort of solved. Looks like a permission
problem, the X user has direct rendering. I guess  a Section "DRI" with
Mode 0666 will solve that.

Still, I wonder how to get a new xorg.conf. X -configure also fails on other
machines with a similar error.

Yet another probem we just saw is display of videos. Xine works fine, but
with mplayer or vlc it seems like the frames are not all in correct order,
the output skips back a little about once a second.

        Wonko