On 20 Mar 2008, at 22:29, Grant wrote:
I removed everything from the motherboard and even tried another CPU
that used to run on that same motherboard.  No luck.  I can't test the
power supply in my P3 router because the CPU power plug is different.

I should have said before that every couple times I try to turn it on,
the CPU fan spins about 2% of a full rotation and some of the LEDs
along the back light up for a second.

Would you guys say it is most likely the motherboard at this point?

_Looks_ that way. I mean, you've certainly tried everything else, haven't you?

I have to admit that I usually give up before this stage, as I rarely have a CPU which matches the motherboard (or if I do they're old PIIIs which have so little value I can just replace the whole lot).

I charge my customers £38 an hour for fixing PCs - although obviously this doesn't take into account time travelling to jobs or running the business (making orders, doing the paperwork), I very quickly write off hardware problems as "not worth my while". It looks like I can buy a dual-core Athlon and a cheapo motherboard (ok, I'd buy a nicer one, but let me make the point) for £55 (ok, admittedly +VAT), so I no longer enjoy spending hours messing around with recalcitrant hardware.

Stroller.