On 22 Mar 2008, at 01:08, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:23:11 +0000, Stroller wrote:

I suspect that this is caused because CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN depends
upon some other kernel option, and because you have that compiled in
as a module. Thus the dependencies of the "parent" are forced to be
modular.

I thought Dale said that he hadn't anything set to compile as a module.

He doesn't seem to specifically state that.
He does (subsequently?) say that he doesn't _want_ anything as a module (beware teh dark side!), but that's not the same thing.

As I read Dale's original post, all he says is "I set CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN as `not set`" (and in his post of 21 March 2008 16:13:49 GMT he says "if I say `compile it in'") "and it keeps turning back into a module".

Of course this would prolly be much easier if Dale just posted a copy of his .config. I have a feeling something "obvious" is being overlooked, and it wouldn't do any hard to post the output of `cd / usr/src/linux && ls -ld /usr/src/linux && md5sum .config && make && make modules_install` so we can see stuff for ourselves. You'll notice that I look to check things like the /usr/src/linux symlink here and that the .config used is actually the same one as I suggest he posts.

Stroller.