Hello Group, I spend a whole day trying to get this to work. Here is my setup

/dev/sda1             /             ext3           noatime          0 1
/dev/sda2 swap
grub is installed using the 'root (hd0,0)' and 'setup (hd0)', no problem.

emerge kernel-sources worked fine.

However everytime the system boots, it reports the VFS panic (no root system found problem). The kernel has built in ext2 and ext3 support. The error hint is to supply root option during boot, but my boot command is this
kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1

Is there something missing that I didn't think of that's causing the failures? I followed the steps outlined here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

except I am using a 2 partition setup.

Fei