I'm working on a Sparc system (SunBlade 2000 Desktop Server) that needs an initrd image to load (due to having a QLA 2200 SCSI controller); but I am having some trouble with the initrd image.

(I had tried the gentoo-sparc list, but it is slow - I'm not getting responses - and I need to finish this server by Friday. And the issue right now is solely the initrd image.)

The problem I am having is that the kernel is complaining about not having the initrd image. I have SILO (sparc equiv of LILO) installed, and have told it of the initrd image, but the kernel doesn't seem to find it. (SILO reports all is well, so I can only assume it is finding the initrd image without a problem.)

My main question comes down to this: I am using the 'genkernel' package to build & install the kernel and initrd image. Both show up in /boot. How much can I rely on genkernel to build a valid initrd image? How can I mount the initrd image to verify it has the modules, etc. and verify it is a valid image?

TIA,

Ben