On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:45:49 -0400, Dan Cowsill wrote:

> Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read that if you don't copy
> the files in /dev, udev won't mount properly on the machine you're
> cloning to and all hell will break lose.

There are two files you need in the dev directory of the root
filesystem, console and null. Create those, or bind mount the root
directory as a;ready suggested.

> Also, iirc, I believe I
> tarred a running machine (including /dev, excluding /sys) and the
> clone was successful.

There's no reason why it wouldn't be, but you're wasting a bunch of pace
and inodes on your root filesystem by putting a load of stuff in /dev
that is then hidden when udev starts.

--
Neil Bothwick

Snacktrek, n.:
 The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly
 returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new will have
 materialized.