I had interpreted the error message to read that some other package
required <= openmotif-2.3.0

On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:53:48PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> What's confusing about that? The reason is in the ebuild for
> x11-libs/openmotif-2.3.0-r1 where it's configured to not co-exist with
> any earlier version. Look carefully at the "<=" and version numbers...
>
> To fix: unmerge the existing openmotif, merge the new one

  But, but, but... isn't the whole point of "--update --world" to
*UPDATE* to the latest available version?  Why is it that openmotif
requires *MANUALLY* deleting the old version, when 99% of non-slottable
apps and libs allow portage to delete the old version and replace it
with the new version?  I'm obviously missing something here.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits