> Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
> to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both. Maybe it would have
> been wiser to make /tmp a symlink to a dedicated directory in /var/tmp
> but now it's too late.

I'd suggest not symlinking /tmp since it is part of the
system startup. If you want to reserve a single space
just mount it under both /tmp and /var/tmp. That avoids
issues with not having any tmp space at all (or symlink
/var/tmp -> /tmp if you want to use a symlink).

--
Steven Lembark                                            85-09 90th St.
Workhorse Computing                                 Woodhaven, NY, 11421