On Tuesday 15 April 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to update a system.
> I try to start by updating portage, but ...
>
> emerge -vp sys-apps/portage

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> [ebuild     U ] sys-apps/sandbox-1.2.20_alpha2-r1 [1.2.17] 272 kB
> [ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.5_rc3 [2.1.2.9] USE="doc -build
> -epydoc (-selinux)" LINGUAS="-pl" 436 kB *** Portage will stop
> merging at this point and reload itself, then resume the merge.
> [ebuild     U ] app-shells/bash-3.2_p33 [3.2_p15-r1] USE="nls -afs
> -bashlogger -plugins% -vanilla" 2,564 kB [blocks B     ]
> <sys-apps/portage-2.1.4_rc1 (is blocking app-shells/bash-3.2_p33)

I had this a while back, had to look into the ebuilds to see exactly
what was being blocked and by which versions.

Basically, latest portage blocks any bash > 3.2._p17
           latest bash blocks any portage < 2.1.4_rc1

Somewhere in between is a happy medium. IIRC, what I did was find the
most recent bash without a block on portage and upgrade to that version
of bash. Then upgrade portage to latest, finally upgrade to latest
bash.

Or it may have been the other way round. In either event, you should
open each ebuild in your tree and see what blocks what to figure out
your route through this. If you don't come right, post back and I'll
have a more detailed look for you.

The reason why this happens is that recent portages have a new feature
in some eclasses that is not supported in older bash version

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com