On Sunday 27 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Why do I have duplicated md devices?
>
> It sounds like a udev rule may be causing this, possibly an
> incorrectly written one, because the /dev part of node names is
> implicit in udev, so if you set a name or symlink to dev/foo, you'll
> get /dev/dev/foo.

It was the first thing I searched for in /etc/udev, but there weren't
explicit pointers to dev, furthermore I have one only custom file
in /etc/udev/rules.d: 10-local.rules, and the only other one I edited
is 70-persistent-net.rules; they surely have nothing to do with md
devices.

After your second reply I did a crazy thing: moved /etc/udev to another
position and reemerged udev. Then I diffed the two directories, because
there were many files dated 2005 and 2006 not belonging to any
packages.

This cleanup wasn't enough, but then I edited /etc/mdadm.conf, modified
the ARRAY directive

from:
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...

to:
ARRAY md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...

I got some warnings at bootup, but no /dev/dev.

Now I have no ARRAY directives in /etc/mdadm.conf, no /dev/dev and my
system is more zippy than ever!! No more slowdowns on large file
transfers: previously I was used to see transfer rate drop from initial
peak to 8-10MB/sec, now the speed is constantly high..

Of course rkhunter is now happy about my configuration, as like as me!

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Sun Apr 20 10:05:09
CEST 2008