On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:

(...)

> >  default so it's really slow). I'm thinking of these things:
> >
> >  - Install every currently installed ebuild to an overlay, or install
> >  specific ebuilds or specific categories to an overlay.
> >  - Copy an installed ebuild and it's entire installed DEPEND tree to an
> >  overlay - this is for cases where <arb_lib> is not in world but is
> >  required as a deep dependency of something that is. The user will
> >  probably not be aware of this dependency and not having that ebuild
> >  will break stuff.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but ebuilds of all installed packages can be
--sync can mess around with /usr/portage all it wants, your ebuilds will
still be there until you unmerge the package. Right?

> >  - Copy an entire profile to an overlay

Could one integrate that with eselect profile? How about copying the current
profile to /var/db/profile?

> >  - Copy everything in an installed ebuild's SRC_URI (or all installed
> >  ebuilds) to a different DISTDIR for safety (think ATI driver downloads
> >  or kernels here)
>

> >  - Remove old ebuilds and profiles from the overlay that you have since
> >  upgraded
> >  - Possibly more

(...)

>   Here's my idea: How hard would it be to have eix-test-obsolete
> verify against the global database instead of the local database? If I
> ran it that way  *before* I ran emerge --sync then it would tell me
> effectively which packages would be removed after syncing. I could
> then move what I need to move by hand, run emerge --sync, and I'd
> still be clean because I've saved my files into my private overlay
> before the sync operation can delete them.

This is about losing ebuilds? See comment about /var/db/pkg/...

>   If an enhancement like that is fairly simple - I have no idea -
> then that would be a great start. Still, it's not protection against
> the root cause of the problem, but it's a simple way to see ahead of
> time what might happen.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

~Henry