On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Saturday 26 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Thanks Alan,
> >    Sorry for top posting. I noticed these very old machine have only
> > 8GB drives in them. Looks like I'm actually going to replace the
> > drives and then do new installs from scratch.
>
> 8G drives!!!!!!!!!! Wow, that comes from the previous millenium....
>
> Today I worked on a machine with a 40G 7200rpm Barracuda (the office
> sounded like it had a Boeing in it taking off!) and I thought they were
> old. Now it looks like a young spring chicken in comparison...
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> --

I obtained, free of charge, an iMac G3 (400 mhz?) with a 1 GB of RAM
installed about 6 months ago.  About a year ago, I got a free Compaq mini
tower with a regular cd-rom, 64 MB of PC100 RAM (1 stick), but 4 MB had to
be dedicated to video (could dedicate 2, 4, or 8).  I took it to my work for
a project (my manager couldn't get approved to use a PC for this manner),
installed 2 256 MB PC133 sticks a coworker gave me that he had in the trunk
of his car from cleaning out his storage.  It's running Gentoo with a 10 GB
hard drive.  No GUI, but eh, who needs that?  Runs like a champ.

--
- Mark Shields