On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>

>  gandalf ~ # slocate MERGING-pam
>  /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
>  gandalf ~ #

I'm never taken the time to understand exactly how portage keeps track
of what is on a system so I'm now curious what represents an
'installed' package. Is it simply that there is a directory located
under /var/db/pkg?

Can I safely remove this directory? As a test I moved it elsewhere and
now eix-test-obsolete doesn't complain. I presume at this point I can
delete it. there's nothing in the directory as best I can tell and the
version number does not match the version of pam currently install.

Thanks in advance,
Mark