On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:05:07AM +0800, Penguin Lover Chuanwen Wu squawked:
> 1, Why I got a new  kernel  image(2.6.24-gentoo-r4-gb921d0de-dirty)
> instead of using the old one (2.6.24-gentoo-r4-g506ab20b-dirty) ? As I
> know if I add/change something as modules, all I need to do is "make
> && make modules_install", and I don't need to install the kernel image
> again and reboot my OS because all the changes are  in modules and the
> kernel image is all the same - fixed me please if I'm wrong.
>  2, Why the kernel image  including my codes  have a very strange name
> - 2.6.24-gentoo-r4-g506ab20b-dirty.

If you are coding for the kernel, I certainly hope you read the docs!

Here's something from the help menu that pops up when you go to
  make menuconfig
  > General Setup > Automatically append version information to the version
string
  and hit help for that entry

  "This will try to automatically determine if the current tree is a
  release tree by looking for git tags that belong to the current top
  of tree revision.

  "A string of the format -gxxxxxxxx will be added to the localversion
  if a git based tree is found. The string generated by this will be
  appended after any matching localversion files, and after the value
  set in CONFIG_LOCALVERSION"

If you are maintainig a git repository, you'd be dealing with a tree
always in flux (with the same versioning number I think), so it helps
tremendously if there's some way of differentiating between different
kernel images.

This also means that if you don't want this behaviour, just uncheck
that option in the configs.

When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 508 days, 12:29