Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [2] vi /var/lib/portage/world

What if I emerge -vC all I know I don't want.

All kde all gnome all xorg for example, before update world.

I was hoping to accomplish much the same thing by editing world.  But
strangely I see only  a few candidates to delete (marked with
asterisks):

/var/lib/portage/world:
app-admin/eselect
app-admin/sysklogd
app-editors/emacs
app-editors/vim
app-misc/screen
** app-office/openoffice-bin
app-portage/eix
app-portage/gentoolkit
** kde-base/kde
net-misc/dhcpcd
sys-apps/slocate
sys-boot/grub
sys-devel/gdb
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
** www-client/seamonkey
** x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
** x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
** x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vga
** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware

However eix -I shows a whole bunch of kde packages.  Not to mention
piles of other stuff not mentioned in `world'.

Looks like emerge -vC ???, in conjunction with `2' would seriously cut
down the build time even if I didn't weed out everything on the first
pass.

Or will I likely hit a nightmare of dependency problems if I happen to
emerge -vC the wrong library or whatever.

I'm willing to chase down equery depends to a degree but not really
thoroughly.  That would take most of the remainder of my lifetime.