Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Thursday 01 May 2008, Gavin Seddon wrote:
Hi,
I used revdep-rebuild --SEARCH_DIRS /opt
with no luck.  How do I check it to enable /opt?
thanks

revdep-rebuild will not solve your problem. It only fixes problems where binaries used to link to other files that are no longer there. It cannot fix your incompatible CXXABI versions in libstdc++ as it doesn't know which gcc versions provide that.

Read this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4107570.html?sid=8acb0d609d3259d3af0dd1c262c7d277
the last post on the page is especially informative.

Run this:
strings /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/libstdc++.so.6 | grep ABI
to find out what version your gcc is providing. skype requires:

CXXABI_1.3.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
skype
Floating exception

as per your original post. I recommend you upgrade gcc to version 4.1.2

I've altered gcc to 4 now I get
'skype
Floating exception
'